New Jersey is welcoming and inclusive of the LGBTQ+ community. In fact, in 2020, one of the cities in NJ, Jersey City, received a perfect score of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign’s (HRC) annual Municipal Equality Index after receiving many perfect scores throughout the years. The LGBTQ+ magazine The Advocate also named Jersey City as the queerest city in America.
LGBTQ+ people in New Jersey currently have the same rights and responsibilities as straight and cisgender people. In addition, LGBTQ+ people in NJ have strong protections from discrimination and have been permitted to marry since October 2013.
For LGBTQ+ resources in NJ, you can visit Garden State Equality.
Gender Confirmation in New Jersey
Gender Confirmation Surgery is a gender-affirming type of procedure that some transgender, non-binary, or gender-diverse folks may pursue in their gender journey. These surgeries alter a person’s body to align better with their gender identity. Some transgender and gender-diverse folks may not be interested in these surgeries, but some may find that it helps with gender dysphoria. The choice is ultimately up to the person and what feels right for them.
Many plastic surgeons can perform gender confirmation surgery for those in the NJ area. These top board-certified and LGBTQ+-friendly plastic surgeons will provide many different procedures like breast augmentation, full surgery, bottom surgery, and more.
Be sure to check out our Gender Confirmation page at LGBTQ and ALL – we have a list of various surgeons and clinics who perform gender confirmation surgeries.
Top Features in New Jersey
New Jersey is a northeastern United States state with around 130 miles of the Atlantic coast. There are many notable features and sites in NJ. Some of these include:
- Atlantic City’s Famous Boardwalk
- Old Victorian Cape May
- Liberty State Park
- The Hudson River Waterfront Walkway
- Island Beach State Park
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.
- High Point State Park.
- Six Flags Great Adventure
- Ellis Island.
- Thomas Edison National Historical Park
- There are also many NJ farms, diners, and wineries that visitors and locals enjoy.
Here are some general facts about New Jersey:
- Its capital is Trenton
- The biggest city is Newark
- Its abbreviation is NJ
- The State Bird of New Jersey is the eastern goldfinch
- The State Flower is the common violet
- It is nicknamed The Garden State
Here are some other fun facts:
- NJ features the highest density population of any state in the nation.
- Bruce Springsteen was born in Long Branch, NJ, United States
- 90% of the NJ population resides in an urban area.
- More cars are stolen in Newark than in any other country.
- NJ is known to have a state seashell.
New Jersey was the third state to ratify the U.S. Constitution in 1787. It was also the first state that signs the Bill of Rights.
Other moments in history include:
Trenton became the official state capital of New Jersey in 1790
William Livingston was New Jersey’s very first state governor
The early 1800s was a time when New Jersey grew and prospered