Hannover, Germany LGBTQ+ Facts
In Hannover, there is a thriving and established queer scene. Many bustling neighborhoods, stunning parks, and an exciting queer nightlife.
In addition, Hannover Pride, aka’ Christopher Street Day / CSD Munich,’ takes place every year. This week-long celebration honors the role of the LGBTQ+ community. It is held annually in May, with a massive street festival, a parade, and events that offer music, culture, and cabaret. Hannover Pride is also focused on its primary political roots and goal of gaining total equality for all citizens.
In addition to Hannover Pride, here are some other LGBTQ+-friendly events:
- Gaywiesn Hannover – This event features an authentic Oktoberfest atmosphere for the LGBTQ+ scene in Hannover. There is also beer, live music, and food.
- Gay Marksmen’s Fair Hannover – This funfair is held every June with a gay tent. The part lasts ten days and is Germany’s biggest LGBTQ+ party marathon. There is also a massive outdoor area, party tent, drag shows, 24-hour parties, awards, celebrities, live music, and much more.
Mental Health in Hannover, Germany
A recent survey of children in Germany discovered that the stress of the coronavirus pandemic has had adverse mental health impacts. In addition, this report found that this fact was especially actual among those children who came from underprivileged families.
The study was conducted by the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf and concluded that about one in three German children has anxiety and depression due to the pandemic. In addition, these adolescents have psychosomatic symptoms like headaches or stomach aches. Finally, this study determined that children and teenagers from lower-income families and migrant roots are disproportionally affected.
In addition, a new study of patient data discovered that one in four children in Germany experiences mental illness. This youth mental health survey came from data collected from 800,000 children insured by this provider in 2016 and 2017.
Health is available for those living in the Hannover area looking for mental health care. Our database at LGBTQ and ALL features the contact information for psychologists for kids in your region, so be sure to check out our resources.
Hannover, Germany, is the capital and largest city in the state of Lower Saxony. It is renowned as a cultural hub, with various world-class museums, art galleries, and theaters.
- Hannover has the world’s leading trade show for transport, logistics, and mobility.
- Each year, Hannover is home to the Schützenfest Hannover, the world’s most significant marksmen’s festival, and the Oktoberfest Hannover.
- Hannover also hosts Germany’s oldest flea market. This market first took place in 1967 and every Saturday morning since 1972.
- The purest form of High German is spoken in Hannover.
Hannover developed out of the early 17th-century division of the Welf house of Brunswick-Lüneburg territories. In 1638, it was formed as the principality of Brunswick-Calenberg-Göttingen and was named after the main town of Hannover.
In 2016, the population of Hannover was 532,163 residents.
It is the 13th-largest city in Germany and the third-largest city in Northern Germany, following Hamburg and Bremen.