Top Features for Boston, Massachusetts
Boston is the capital of Massachusetts and is the most populous city in this state. In addition, it is the 24th-most populous city in the nation. The city covers 48.4 square miles, with a population recorded in 2020 of 675,647 residents.
- Boston’s name comes from a town in England.
- Revere Beach was the first public beach in the nation.
- The city of Boston built the first subway in the United States in 1897.
- Boston has the oldest public park in the country.
- The Fig Newton cookie was named after a suburb in Boston.
- The U.S.’s first chocolate factory was in Boston.
- There are no happy hours in Boston bars.
- The very first American Lighthouse was built in Boston.
- The John Hancock Tower can predict the weather.
- The biggest art heist that ever took place happened in Boston.
- Fenway Park is the oldest Major League Baseball stadium that is still being used.
- Candlepin bowling was invented in this city.
- On December 16, every year, there is a Boston Tea Party reenactment.
- The Christmas Carol, O’Little Town of Bethlehem, was written by a Boston resident.
As one of the United States’ most historically rich cities, the story of Boston is shown throughout nearly every corner of the city. It was officially founded in 1630 by English Puritans who left and went to this land to find religious freedom. For many, Boston is known to be the birthplace of the American Revolution.
Boston is one of the most LGBTQ+-friendly cities in the nation. It is known for its LGBTQ+ dating scene, events, and nightlife.
In Boston proper, many neighborhoods have extensive LGBTQ+ populations. The South End is one of the most renowned. Also, other popular LGBTQ+ areas include Jones Hill, Savin Hill, and Melville Park areas of Dorchester and Jamaica Plain.
Boston has many permanent LGBTQ+ establishments, including Club Café, The Alley, Cathedral Station, Boston Eagle, dbar, Blend (formerly Peggy O’Neil’s), and Trophy Room (formerly the Fritz). In addition, Boston hosts various scheduled and rotating event calendars, with “gay nights” at regularly “straight establishments.” These have been hosted by promoters such as Gay Mafia Boston (formerly known as Chris Harris Presents), Jim Murray Events, and The Welcoming Committee.
Boston’s annual Pride Parade is also notable, with approximately 25,000 attendees and marchers in 2014. In addition, the Boston Pride Committee plans a whole week of events to celebrate the community’s diversity, along with the parade.
Mental Health in Boston, Massachusetts
With a population of 6.7 million people, Massachusetts is the third most densely populated state in the country. Yet, according to SAMHSA, nearly 3.71% of adults in Massachusetts live with severe mental health conditions like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.
The Department of Mental Health administers, manages, and provides public mental health services in Massachusetts. Substance use and addiction treatment services in this state are overseen by a different agency, the Bureau of Substance Abuse Services.
About only 53.8% of adults with a mental illness or condition in Massachusetts receive any kind of treatment from a mental health provider, whether from the public system or privately. The remaining 46.2% did not receive mental health treatment of any kind. In addition, as reported by Mental Health America, Massachusetts is ranked 2 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for offering access to mental health services and treatments.
If you know a child in Boston searching for a psychologist, our extensive database at LGBTQ and ALL can help put you in touch with a qualified mental health provider.